Monday, July 13, 2009

Week 7: Thing 16 (Learn about Wikis)

I found the wiki information very informative. I certainly knew about wikipedia but some of the other uses of wikis were new to me. Perhaps the SIT team could use wikis, maybe not in writing the plan itself but in writing minutes or summative type documents.
We are working on editing some of our church bylaws and everyone involved sent their suggestions via e-mail. How much easier it might have been to edit the sections as a group via the wiki format instead of posting and reposting and reposting.
I especially liked the idea that book reviews could be added to online catalogs, such like books can now be review for Amazon.com. I think that idea has some merit.
Finally, I don't know how locked down we are in using wikis on the school level. (I would have to get out the state department report to remember how J.K. advised us to answer the questions...) But certainly there would be applications (if allowed) in the upper grade levels. Science Lab Reports, for example, when being completed by a team of four students, might be done very effectively as a wiki!

No comments:

Post a Comment